Ok, so for a while we have been trying to get Emma involved with something. Swimming? Dance? Art? Anything maybe to stop her from saying how bored she is and to pry her away from the tv. Should I say that getting out of the house has not been high on my priority list this past year. So, I mentioned joining brownies (or the younger version - Daisys) as they got a flier sent home from school about it.
Soooo... we attended a meeting last wednesday. The troop leader was just a little unsettling to me for some reason. Aaron initially said that I was being snobby. The parents there were normal. The girls there were normal. The leader and all of her assistants were, um, annoying and just left me feeling a little weird (more of a feeling than what I can describe in words). Maybe it was that the leader said that she doesn't tolerate loud children (try stopping 20 5 and 6 year olds from being loud). Maybe it was because she essentially threatened all the parents into signing up for volunteering (or she would sign us up). I am not sure but I seriously was on the verge of an anxiety attack by the time I went home. Emma was totally psyched about the group (I was hoping that she would think it was *boring* like everything else). No such luck.
So, 3:00am this morning I realized something. I knew this woman... go back 6 years. We are interviewing in-home child care providers for Emma as an infant. I realized that THIS was the woman. I looked her up to verify. Among other things she she said to us that we essentially didn't know what we were doing as new parents and she would show us how to parent (she was pregnant with her 5th child at the time). She also said to Emma (a 3 month old) something about how we must not give her any toys and she must be bored (because we didn't have one of those toy bars on her car seat). Aaron and I essentially thought this woman was a complete loon and immediately discounted her.
6 years later I am dealing with her again. I CANNOT go back to this group. I am desperately trying to find another option, but am having a heck of a time. Of course Emma has asked every day when she can go back. Ug.
Please tell me that you guys wouldn't go back either!
3 comments:
Oh I would so NOT go back. Emma will forget it in a while, especially if you find something else fun for her to do...which I'm sure you will! You guys are like the greatest parents too...just in case you are needing a shot in the arm!
I would not go back either. In fact, my sister & I went to Campfire, instead of Brownies/Girl Scouts as kids, specifically because our mom couldn't stand the troop leader. I hear you. I hope you find something else that is more fitting! We've got Rosie in ballet and soccer.
I would absolutely not go back, even if it meant having to listen to the kids whine about it. I wouldn't trust her with my kids.
Good luck, man!
Post a Comment