The other night hubby and I were talking and reflecting on some comments from Emma - one comment being that "Daddy is a servant" and earlier in the day that "mommies are lucky - they always get to relax".
Wow! Clearly her perspective on our household is much different than it was a generation ago in many homes when the dad worked outside the home and the mom was a homemaker. Hubby said that he thought it would be hard for Emma to find a husband because she would have these expections of men (they would cook, clean, grocery shop, take care of their kids, etc., etc.) and he questioned her finding that. I said that I thought that I think that she SHOULD keep her expectations high and I had higher hope that she would find this all in a significant other.
In observing our friends many of the guys are the main cooks in the family or play a signifant role in taking care of the kids, etc., etc. Based on what I am seeing - and I think my daughter is seeing not only at home but at her friends homes - I hope that she sees that men can play these roles as much as women can.
As for my own hubby I DO greatly appreciate all he does (as my "servant") so I can "relax all the time" - not only the cooking, dishes, grocery shopping, story reading, and a ridiculous amount of child centered play with Emma. I cannot imagine doing this all without him!
3 comments:
"Relax"? I think I've forgotten what the word means. Is it something like "falling asleep on the couch from exhaustion"?
Maybe it means falling asleep in your child's bed in the middle of the book and then they shake you awake to tell you to go to bed?
Oh, yeah I have totally done that!
Post a Comment